Google Rankings Jumping Around
-
Hi,
Since January, the Google rankings for one of our sites has been jumping around. Sometimes it's on page 1, then it disappears and comes back around 1 month later.
It's strange because it's only a small section of the site that it's happening to. Every other section of the site is doing really well.
Just wondered if anyone else is having this problem, or has had it and can suggest any fixes.
There are no technical issues, no changes have been made to the site, all I can think is it's Google messing around with their algorithm?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Karen
-
Hmmm... that is strange, especially if you haven't pushed any link-building to that section. Unfortunately, the duplicate content aspects are really tough to speak to without seeing the site/page. One easy spot-check I do is to take the page title of the section, let's say it's "Section Title" and search the index within your site, such as:
site:example.com intitle:"Section Title"
That will show you if copies are being indexed, and it's a really easy place to start.
-
Hiya,
Thanks for the response, some really interesting ideas. It looks like it's just our site that is bouncing around in the serps.
I think point 2 is probably the most likely explanation. Although the site was built with SEO in mind, so the pages are all unique and with a good amount of content, we have a few issues with trailing forward slashes, which could be creating a duplicate content problem.
Basically the site is divided up into 9 sections - 7 of those sections are fine and ranking well, but 2 of them are bouncing around. Of the 2 that are bouncing around we have done some link building for just 1 of the sections.
I'll have another dig around in webmaster tools. If you have any other ideas in the meantime they'd be much appreciated!
Thanks
-
Are the other rankings for that keyword(s) bouncing as well, or is it just you? If everyone is bouncing, Google could be tweaking the algorithm or the keyword could be evaluated different ways. For example, I'm seeing Google treat more keywords as having local implications (especially since "Venice"), but they seem to be fine-tuning that week to week.
If it's just you, it's probably one of two things:
(1) You're experiencing a technical issue that's impact the speed or availability of your site.
(2) You've got a very large index or some issues with duplicate content. Sometimes, I see a page get re-crawled (say, from an XML sitemap), rank well for a few days, and then drop as Google re-crawls more of the site.
(3) You're hovering on the border of a link-based penalty.
Fortunately, these are different enough that you can probably tell which one is most likely by digging into your own index and link profile, as well as Google Webmaster Tools.
-
Have you isolated it down to a page type, or specific urls?
If not build out an excel file with the following as columns and then pivot it out:
- keyword
- ranking url
- page type
- keyword type
- rank at date 1
- rank at date 2
- keep going as long as needed
Then pivot the above and report back
Got a burning SEO question?
Subscribe to Moz Pro to gain full access to Q&A, answer questions, and ask your own.
Browse Questions
Explore more categories
-
Moz Tools
Chat with the community about the Moz tools.
-
SEO Tactics
Discuss the SEO process with fellow marketers
-
Community
Discuss industry events, jobs, and news!
-
Digital Marketing
Chat about tactics outside of SEO
-
Research & Trends
Dive into research and trends in the search industry.
-
Support
Connect on product support and feature requests.
Related Questions
-
Google sidebar advertising dropped
Has anyone noticed how the google sidebar advertising has completely disappeared? They only display top 4 adwords and then remaining on the bottom of each search page. I can't find any info on it or when it actually happened?
Algorithm Updates | | Purplesars110 -
Google SERPs changes
Hi I wonder if anyone knew of any changes to the Google SERPs appearance in August 2015? We dropped in over a thousand visits to the homepage on brand so I wanted to find out why. Also, our DA went from 36 to 34 - does Google panda affect domain authority at all? Thank you
Algorithm Updates | | BeckyKey0 -
Missing Keywords in Google SERP
We just got this attached image from one of our partners - has anyone seen Google putting 'missing' keywords in SERPs like this before? They said that it was not a plugin or anything and this is a screenshot of their organic search results. google%20screenshot_zpsgmwaf9e2.png
Algorithm Updates | | ReunionMarketing0 -
Is Moz Domain Authority still relvant when it comes to Google ranking?
My understanding of Moz DA is that it is predominantly based on external links. Since Penguin I am noticing more and more websites ranking high in Google with a "low" number of links and certainly a low DA but quality and relevancy of content and also of offering. I understand that there was always more to ranking than DA but is it anymore even relevant to how a site will rank in Google?
Algorithm Updates | | halloranc0 -
Google Unable to Access Robots.txt
We haven't made any changes to the robots.txt file and suddenly Google claims they can no longer access the file. The site has been up and active for well over a year now. What are my next steps? I have included a screenshot of the top half of the file. See anything wrong? D3H5tgE.png
Algorithm Updates | | rhoadesjohn0 -
Sudden drop in rankings and indexed pages!
Over the past few days I have noticed some apparent major changes. Before I explain, let me say this: Checking my analytics and WMT: There is an increase in traffic (even via google organic) There is no drop in impressions or clicks There is no drop in indexed pages in GWT Having said that; When I check my indexed pages using site:www.mywebsite.com, I see only 30 results as opposed to the 120K that I was seeing before (it was steadily climbing). The indexed pages have increase 3 fold in the past year, because of the increase in pages, updates, and products on the site. I see a sudden drop in rankings for major keywords that had been steadily rising. For example, I had some major keywords that were on page 7-8, not they are on page 20+ or not at all. Also, the page that used to show in the rankings has changed. I have only done white-hat guest blogging in the past year for link building, on a small scale (maybe 20-30 links in a year). They only other change recently, is that we are: Posting products on Houzz and Pinterest daily adding our site to all local directories (white pages, Yelp, citysearch, etc.) My site got hit by Penguin more than a year ago, but we have done everything right since, and our traffic via organic results has more than doubled since the Penguin release. What the hell is going on? Should I be concerned?
Algorithm Updates | | inhouseseo0 -
Does anyone know if Google ranks a responsive site, or a specific mobile site higher than each other?
I have heard that Google favors specific .m sites overs responsive designs in it's rankings. Does anyone know if this is true? And, if there is any supporting information. I have been in contact with our account team at Google but haven't had a response on this as yet. I appreciate any help on this. Cheers!
Algorithm Updates | | Fasthosts0 -
Google above the fold update
Hi everyone, Ever since the Jan 19th Google 'above the fold update' I have noticed some strange ranking changes in some of my sites. 1. rankings increased dramatically (not in top 50 to page 2) on Jan 19th for about 5 days then dropped out completely from the top 50. 2. our rankings then did the same thing again around Feb 2nd for about 5 -6 days then has bottomed out ever since. We do not have any ads on the site but our pages are dominated by images for most of the 'above the fold' section then followed by the content down the page. Any insight into this would be much appreciated. Cheers, Andrew
Algorithm Updates | | jay.raman0